The following descriptions are just a sample of how to care for your precious gems. Contact Brightons for information on your specific gem.
AMBER: Avoid heat or pressure. Acids and strong solvents can cause damage.
BERYL AQUAMARINE: Liquid inclusions may burst upon heating. Hydorfluoric acid can cause damage. Use ultrasonic cleansing.
EMERALD: Treat with extreme care! Do not boil or use ultrasonic cleaning. Use warm, soapy water to clean.
DIAMOND: Safe to boil and use ultrasonic cleaning unless fracture filled.
GARNET: Concentrated hydrofluoric acid may cause damage. Abrupt temperature changes likely to cause damage. Use care with ultrasonic cleaning.
OPAL: Avoid all solvents and acids. Opals are highly sensitive to heat. Do not boil or use ultrasonic cleaning.
PEARL: Pearls are attacked by all acids. Avoid any type of solvent including perfume, hair spray and perspiration. Do not boil or use ultrasonic cleaning.
QUARTZ: (amethyst and citrine): Strong heat may turn gems colorless. Abrupt temperature changes may cause fractures. Boiling is safe but use caution with ultrasonic cleaning.
TOPAZ: Avoid thermal shock. Boiling is not recommended. Use caution with ultrasonic cleaning.
ZIRCON (all colors): Gems abrade easily. Heat may alter color. Avoid boiling but ultrasonic cleaning is safe.
CHRYSOBERYL: (Alexandrite and Cats Eye) Stable when exposed to heat, light and chemicals. However, since high value is involved, use caution and avoid boiling and ultrasonic cleaning when possible.
CORUNDUM: (Ruby and Sapphire) Generally safe to boil and use ultrasonic cleaning. With stones of high value, some caution may be prudent.
TANZANITE: Sudden temperature changes may cause fracturing. Hydrochloric and hydrofluoric acid can cause damage. Do not boil or use ultrasonic cleaning.
TOURMALINE: (All varieties) Sudden temperature changes may cause fracturing. Although boiling is possible, it is not recommended, since thermal shock can cause damage. Use caution with ultrasonic cleaning.